Sheilah Meikle - publications
Submitted by anna on Fri, 2006-12-15 15:31.
Books and chapters in books
- The urban context and poor people, in Rakodi, Carole (ed), Sustainable Urban Livelihoods, DFID, London.
- Employment for Displacees in the Socialist Market Economy of China with Zhu Youxuan in Cernea, Michael and Christopher McDowell, Risks and Reconstruction - Experiences of Resettlers and Refugees, The World Bank.
- Technical advice and assistance, in Megacities - reducing vulnerability to natural disasters, Institute of Civil Engineers. Socially Sensitive Policies in the Context of Structural Adjustment: A Training Manual, with Flip Maas, UNDP.
Return to top
Peer reviewed papers and PhD Dissertation
- Energy, Poverty and Sustainable Urban Livelihoods, WP No. 126, with Alison Bannister Sustainable Urban Livelihoods: Concepts and Implications for Policy, WP No. 112, with Julian Walker and Tamsin Ramasut.
- Theory and Practice of Resettlement in China, with Julian Walker, The Eastern Anthropologist, Vol.53, Nos. 1 and 2, January-June 2000.
- Keeping policy up to date: The impact of political and economic change on resettlement policy, ASCI Journal of Management Vol. 28(1), Administrative Staff College of India.
- Reflections on the Performance of Planning Projects in Egypt and Iraq, Habitat International.
- Project Performance in Developing Countries, Habitat International, Part 4.
- Aid Funded Human Settlement Projects: Egypt 1974-1982, PhD Thesis, London School of Economics and Political Science DPU (refereed Working Papers.
Return to top
- The changing face of the Chinese city, with Julian Walker in 2G - International Architecture Review No.10 1999, Barcelona, Spain.
- A study of the impact of energy use on poor women and girls' livelihoods in Arusha Tanzania (DFID/KARS - R8231).
- The Impact of economic growth on poor men and women's livelihoods in Damietta, Egypt: an environmental perspective, with Patrice North and Hanaa El Gohary.
- Energy, poverty and sustainable urban livelihoods, with Alison Bannister.
- Resettlement Policy and Practice in China and the Philippines (ESCOR/DFID) Research Scheme Number R6802 - Final Report.
Return to top
- A case study of energy and gender in urban areas in Arusha, Tanzania at 11th EADI General Conference - Insecurity and development, Bonn, September.
- Housing and urban development in Iraq: a social development perspective. UN -HABITAT Symposium on Housing and Urban Development in Iraq, Amman, Jordan: September 28-30.
- Renewable Energy and Urban Livelihood at World Renewable Energy Congress (WREC), 2002, Koln, Germany.
- Social Aspects of Sustainable Communities at UNDP sponsored International Symposium and Design Workshop on Eco-village and Permaculture, Seoul.
- Implications of the Move to a Socialist Market Economy and Employment Opportunities for Displaces in China, with Zhu Youxuan presented at Reconstructing Livelihoods: Towards a new model of resettlement for development displacees and refugees, Queen Elizabeth House, Sept. 1996, Oxford.
- A Place for Planning in Urban Development, Failure and Opportunity in the Developing World, Joint ACSP and AESOP International Congress, Oxford UK July 1991, with Michael Mattingly The Comparative Performance of Urban Institutions: The Case of Ismailia, Egypt 1976-1990, Paper in the Proceedings of the Ninth Inter-Schools Conference on Development 1991 with Ayman Ismail.
- Successful Shelter Strategies, ODA 1991. Report of Proceedings. Joint editor with Babar Mumtaz.
- Developing Diagnostic Tools for Use in Rehabilitating Projects in Developing Countries, University of Bradford. Reflections on the Performance of Planning Projects in Egypt and Iraq, paper for International Workshop, Planning and Management of Urban Development in the 1990s, Birmingham.
- Rural Resettlement: An Egyptian Experience in Report of Proceedings, Town and Country Planning Summer School, 1979.
Return to top
a. Individually authored
- Improved shelter, services and urban governance for returnees and IDPs in Districts 6, 7 and 8 Kabul: monitoring and evaluation report UN HABITAT.
- Water Sector Development China, DFID (Cntr 98 6439), Social Appraisal Project Memorandum for Rural Water Supply Project, Terms of Reference for Rural Water Supply Project.
- The Impact of Housing Policy Reform on the Poor, in Report on Consultancy Mission to review changes in housing reform in China and its implications for the DFID owned enterprise reform project (SOHO).
- Social and Development Issues in Developing Countries. Issue paper for A Framework for Urban Environmental Capacity (a tool for sustainable urban planning in Developing countries).
- Jiangyin Suspension Bridge - Approach Roads, China, Social Impact Appraisal, final report of the quantitative and qualitative survey investigations which were undertaken to fulfil the social development tasks identified in the SPUR's Inception Report.
- Final report 'Social perspective on development: policy formulation and evaluation for gender responsive poverty eradication'.
- Suez Demonstration Projects, Robert Matthew, Johnson-Marshall and Partners et al for Advisory Committee for Reconstruction, Ministry of Housing and Reconstruction, Arab Republic of Egypt, Ministry of Overseas Development UK.
- Series of Manuals on Resettlement Monitoring and Evaluation for Training of Trainers, China.
- Bay Chay and Binh Bridges, Vietnam, Social Development Aspects.
- Social Perspective: Policy Formulation and Evaluation, Prototype Workshop Manual, UN.
- China: Resettlement Workshop Final Report, Resettlement Monitoring/Evaluation Workshop.
- Aga Khan Rural Support Programme, Northern Region Institute for Planning, Pakistan. Final Report, Chapter One: The Context and two appendices: Methodological Approach and Decentralisation.
- Nanjing Airport Social Appraisal, China, Final Report, Volume 1, Chapter 9, Social Development Aspects.
- Basic Training Manual - Socially Sensitive Policy Formulation in the Context of Structural Adjustment in Tanzania, Development Planning Unit, University College London together with the Centre for Social Development and Humanitarian Affairs, United Nations at Vienna and the SDA Office Tanzania for the United Republic of Tanzania.
- Gongola State - Urban Development Project, Final Report, Volume 4, Social Surveys, Government of Gongola State, Nigeria, Ministry of Works and Transport World Bank: Nigeria States Urban Development Programme.
Return to top
- Assessment of the Present Situation and AdviCe on the Future Operations of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Women's Development, mission report for the Government of Chad and UNDP, with Pramilla Bennett.
- English and Chinese Glossary of key Social Development Concepts and Terms>/i>, with Julian Walker.
- Resettlement of Filipino Refugees from the 'Ice-box' Tawau, Malaysia, mission report for Hydro-technic and Robert Matthew and Marshall and Partners, United Nations High Commission for Refugees with Helmut Smit.
- A Study of Socio-economic factors Affecting Settlement in the West Nubariya Extension, for Arab Republic of Egypt, Ministry of Agriculture, Authority for Rehabilitation Projects and Agrciultural Development, ODA with Anthony Thompson and Ian Green.
c. With others
- Country poverty assessment, Dominica, Caribbean Development Bank.
- Independent review of PROSPECT, Zambia, with Nick Hall, Michael Mattingly and Chilshe Mulenga. The Integrated Capital Development Plan of Baghdad, Republic of Iraq, Amanat Al Assima/Baghdad, Japanese Consortium of Consulting Firms, Tokyo, Japan, Abuja Integrated Agricultural Development Project, Federal Department of Rural Development, Nigeria, Mek-Ind Associates and Asdic.
- Suez Regional Development Plan, Arab Republic of Egypt, United Nations Development Programme, 1976 Suez Master Plan, Sir William Halcrow and Partners et al, for the Arab Republic of Egypt, Ministry of Housing and Reconstruction, Advisory Committee for Reconstruction and United Nations Development Programme.
Return to top